It's a very simple sauce -- one of the first Chef Chris Manning ever made -- but you can easily turn it into something elegant.
In honor of Lent, the chef pairs it with baked haddock, shrimp and mashed potatoes, but says it's also great with grilled chicken, grilled pork and scallops.
- - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- - 2 tablespoons butter
- - 1/2 cup diced onion
- - 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- - 1 cup diced tomatoes
- - 4 cloves garlic, minced
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- - 1/2 cup dry white wine (the chef uses Naked Chardonnay from Coyote Moon Vineyards)
- Sauté onions and mushrooms in olive oil and butter in a 14-inch sauté pan on medium-high heat.
- When onion begins to wilt, add tomatoes, garlic, and salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add wine and cook for 2 or 3 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.