Ragù is a hearty one-pot dish that is traditionally made with meat, tomatoes and pasta.
Chef Chris Manning makes this version Campania style, from Italy's southern region. This version is heavy on vegetables.
- - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- - 1/2 cup chopped onion
- - 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- - 1/2 cup chopped peppers
- - 1/2 cup chopped celery
- - 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- - 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- - 3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
- - 1 pound beef or pork (or both), cooked and cubed
- - 1 pound cooked pasta
- - 1/2 cup beef stock
- - 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- - 1 cup tomato sauce
- - 1/4 cup red wine
- - 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- - 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Sauté onions, mushrooms, peppers, celery, and zucchini in oil until vegetables soften. Add garlic and seasonings -- including salt and pepper -- and sauté another 30 seconds.
- Add meat, pasta, stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and wine and allow to cook together 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in both cheeses and serve, topping with more cheese.
- Serve with Casa Papa Red from Coyote Moon Vineyards.