Hats and Peas, A Utica Favorite
This creamy pasta dish is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter evening!
- - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- - 2 tablespoons butter
- - 2 green onions, diced coarsely
- - 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- - 1/2 pound diced ham
- - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- - 1/2 pound cooked orecchiette (hat-shaped pasta)
- - 1/4 cup dry white wine
- - 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- - 1/2 cup heavy cream
- - 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- - Juice of half a lemon
- Sauté onions, bell pepper and ham in olive oil and butter in a four-quart Dutch oven. Cook until onions begin to wilt. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add pasta, wine, Parmesan, and cream and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add peas and lemon and cook for another minute or two.
- Garnish with shredded mozzarella and more grated Parm.
- Pair with Naked Chardonnay from Coyote Moon Vineyards.