Apparently, spinach is popular Florence, Italy.
Chef Chris Manning prepares chicken Florentine, which, of course, uses spinach.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, dredged in flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup peas
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter in saucepan with olive oil. Sauté chicken until brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Sauté onions and mushrooms until onion begins to wilt. Add garlic, peas and spinach and cook for a minute or two.
- Add cream, Asiago, salt, and pepper and simmer until sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Serve with chicken over rice or pasta.
- Pair with Naked Chardonnay from Coyote Moon Vineyards.