Beef & Guinness Stew
Irish stew can be made three different ways, Chef Chris Manning says: with beef, lamb, and with both beef and lamb.
It's a hearty and simple one-pot dish perfect for St. Patrick's Day.
- - 3 slices bacon, coarsely chopped.
- - 2 pounds beef rib eye, cubed
- - 1 teaspoon whole-leaf thyme
- - 4 bay leaves
- - Salt & pepper to taste
- - 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- - 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- - 1 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- - 1 cup quartered mushrooms
- - 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- - 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- - 1 pint Guinness Stout
- - 1/2 cup water
- - 1 pint brown gravy
- Brown bacon and beef in a medium-size Dutch oven on low heat. Add seasonings, vegetables and herbs on top of meat, but do not mix together. Pour in Guinness and water. Cover and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Gently stir in gravy and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
- Pairs well with Casa Papa Red from Coyote Moon Vineyards.